room with a view

room with a view

Monday, December 23, 2013

Sibling Love

"I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE DECAL WAS SUPPOSED TO GO ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR. IT SAID CAR DECAL, NOT WINDOW DECAL. OK," screamed Dad at the dinner table. Each of us exchanged fits of laughter while our eyes shifted away from our slightly seething, half-laughing father. 

"Can I pick the eyeliner off of you? PLEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEE. It looks like it'd be so satisfying to peel off," I pleaded to Lindsay.

"NO. Stop Megan!" she barked at me while reading her Stephen Hawking book. "STOP!" she shouted as she wriggled further into the couch to avoid my prying fingers. "MEGAN, SERIOUSLY STOP IT. YOU'RE SO ANNOYING."

"Hey Matt, have fun last night?" I asked in a nudge-nudge wink-wink tone. "Thanks for waking me up at 2 AM. I loved hearing that door slam. So what'd you do?" Matt continued to pour himself a glass of water and seemed to be ignoring my question.

"I said, What'd you do? Hellllllloooo Matt!" I said a little louder than the first time. 

"Nothing, Megan. OK! Jeez." Matt mumbled to me as he sighed while walking out.

Any of these situations come up on a regular basis when the Pietz clan is back in action. After 4 months of not living together, I think as siblings we've all missed each other. Though each of us knows exactly how to piss one another off, there comes a certain kind of comfort with residing in the same hallway and eating dinner together in the evening.

Yes, we talk at least once a week whether it be text or Facetime while we're at school, but it is still odd not knowing exactly what is happening in someone's life, not understanding their course load, or being able to picture the friends we each talk about. After being with one another essentially non-stop from birth, the transition from knowing and understanding everything to nothing is quite odd, even unsettling at times. 

Everyone knows that college allows people to grow and change. Parents pay thousands of dollars so their kids can realize they're not that smart, they're semi-talented, and that they need to grow up a bit more before they can call themselves an adult. So basically, Lindsay, Matt, and I said goodbye to one another just as we were about to change even more drastically than we had throughout high school. Cool.

Matt and Lindsay can make me scream at the top of my lungs to shut them up,but  there are days when you want your siblings to be around. We still send each other "Hope (insert test here) went well" or "Thought of you when I saw (insert link here) today" texts. We still poke fun at each other's styles, taste in music, and studies. And of course, we all equally miss our cat.

Now every time we see each other, Lindsay likes to scream "I love you!" fifteen times while she bear hugs each of us. I can't breathe, but I appreciate it. Sometimes I want to rip her detachable collars or ask her to chew with her mouth closed for the 8th time, I still love her. She likes to scream it, but we all know it exists. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's true.

I know Lindsay and Matt will always be there for me. Our continued communication has proved that. And I can be confident now that we'll always talk. I love my siblings, and I wouldn't have our relationship any other way.

We never look this good anymore 
The last day all of us were together before starting college.

1 comment: