room with a view

room with a view

Friday, February 28, 2014

Selections from my Virtual Library: February 2014

This is the second installment my virtual library, a year-long project to expand my personal literacy and knowledge base. 

In February, I expanded my library to include pieces from Slate, a "daily web magazine," Medium, a collaborative blogging site, and The Guardian. 

I've decided to organize articles by publication. Some publications have more representation than others because a) they post more content and/or b) I find that their pieces are of better quality/more interesting than others as a whole.


The Atlantic:
The Racially Fraught History of the American Beard - Who knew that the facial scruff I have come to love has such a dark past...

Personal Identity is Mostly Performance - How the things we keep and display project  judgements about ourselves to others while simultaneously reminding us who we are.

The Dark Psychology of Being a Good Comedian - Cool data on what it means to be funny, how intelligence and humor are correlated, and how to know when a taboo topic is at its peak of funniness.

Dead Poets Society Is a Terrible Defense of the Humanities - A great movie that needs to be understood in a different light. While literature is about feeling, it is also about meaning and the beautiful nuances of language.

Teachers Wish More People Would Listen to Them - I might be biased, but teachers deserve a lot more respect than they are currently receiving and the data collected from teachers in this summarized study reflects that immensely. 

The Guardian: 
Drip, drip, drip, by day and night - In case you haven't noticed, rain is important to a lot of literature.

Wes Anderson: in a world of his own - Yet another article that reaffirms the love I have for my favorite director. There are lots of great details in the piece.

The New Yorker:
The $5.7 Million Magazine Cover Illustration - Art is something I still don't fully understand, but this piece brings up a lot of great questions to think about in terms of ownership and creativity.

Medium:
Those Damn Gentrifying Hipsters: Avoiding the pull of the “creative class” typecast - A really important read for anyone looking to live in a gentrified/gentrifying area.

Ma Noirceur - We should not strive to be a color blind nation, but rather a nation that is inclusive and self-aware of privilege. 

Slate:
A Photographer’s Moving Tribute to the Pine Ridge Reservation - Pine Ridge has been a source of fascination for me since my junior year of high school, so this photo essay reminded me how awful it is that a place this impoverished exists in the United States.

The Dalai Lama’s Ski Trip: What I learned in the slush with His Holiness - The Dalai Lama is an unbelievable human being. This piece puts him in a great light and has a great voice.

McSweeney's:
Socrates on the red carpet - It's pretty difficult to describe a McSweeney's piece in a non-cliche way, but I seriously love this. 

NPR:
Saudade: An Untranslatable, Undeniably Potent Word - Yet another place for my loves to connect: words and music. Saudade will be the latest addition to my vocabulary.

Fred Armisen's Fake Bands (And Their Real Songs) - Fred Armisen is too good. What a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment